Wednesday, December 27, 2006

How About that Local Sports Team?


Is there something wrong with me? I mean I'm as competitive as the next guy. No, I'm more competitive than the next guy.


I enjoy sports. I just don't like to watch them. I really don't care who wins. If I start to care, I just think about all the poor saps who are rooting for the other team and begin to feel sorry for them.


There's some fun to be had with this. If one of my relatives from out of state shows enthusiasm for their local sports team, I pretend to feel hurt that they would allow a mundane regional rivalry to interfere with our deeper family bond. This occasionally results in a confused and embarrassed response that can be quite comical.


One time, I was compelled to take someone to a hockey game as part of my job. Of course, most of the players from the local Minnesota team weren't from Minnesota, but one of the players from the opposing team was. He was booed when they announced his name. I was mystified and disturbed by this inhospitable conduct.


I guess I don't really have a problem with watching sports. If I concentrate, I can see some entertainment value in the strategy and physical prowess that is displayed.


I am, however, perplexed by the passions, rivalries, and occasionally rude, obnoxious and violent behavior that results.


I invite your comments. Maybe, you can help me understand this mystery.

No comments: