Sunday, December 10, 2006

I Like Parentheses


I like parentheses,(They're great for setting aside little comments (or references, legally required disclaimers, (note: I am not qualified to give legal advice. (The mention of legally required disclaimers was for informational purposes only. (It was not my intention to provide guidance on the proper use of such (legally required disclaimers).)))sources, dates, etc.) that don't quite fit into the normal flow of conversation (Of course, in actual verbal conversation, parentheses would have to be implied. (It would be convenient if there was a gesture (rather gestures, as there are two of them (parentheses)(The argument that they (parentheses) always come in pairs is invalid. (The concave portion facing left parenthesis (singular of parentheses) can be used in isolation (as in 1)first item on a list, 2)second item, etc.(Perhaps, this answers the age old question. (What is the meaning of one parenthesis enclosing?))).))) that could be universally recognised as referring to parentheses (or a solitary parenthesis (perhaps, two distinct but symmetrical gestures (one for each parenthesis))).) or written (or typed) text.(Parentheses are also useful for indicating that certain statements are less important than others(such as this statement and the one proceeding it).)) don't you?


If you would like to learn more about parentheses, visit The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation or this article.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should take some time to check out the band Sunn 0))) ..don't you think? As for me, I prefer to actively encourage the use of "--" punctuation-- it's wonderful for those odd pauses I perceive in my writing. It's also nice for placing before my name at the conclusion of a comment.

--DaveX

Daniel Thompson said...

I checked them out and was intrigued by their approach to music and punctuation.

As for "--" punctuation, I will have to give it some thought. My writing is full of odd pauses. It might save me from overuse of the comma.

Barb said...

I am a self-confessed (true, so true) user of parentheses!